ℹ️ IPFS is a decentralized web protocol for sharing data quickly and easily. Filecoin is built on top of IPFS and supports storing data long-term via on-chain deals. Together, they help us break free from centralized services while conveniently allowing us to enjoy the same luxuries of speed and guaranteed storage that centralized services would bring.
This page is starting point for learning the key concepts behind IPFS and Filecoin and how to get started building with them, including developer tools that help you store data on both IPFS and Filecoin quickly and easily.
Developer Tools & Storage Services
ℹ️ Looking for the perfect tool for building your project? We have an extensive list here to help you get started with IPFS and Filecoin.
Storage Helpers (IPFS + Filecoin)
- Estuary: Pinning service that stores and retrieves data on both IPFS and Filecoin networks via simple API calls (video)
- NFT.storage: NFT storage service (free for life) that stores and retrieves data relating to NFTs on IPFS and Filecoin (video)
- Web3.storage: Data storage service that stores and retrieves data on IPFS and Filecoin (video)
- Textile Powergate: Highly configurable wrapper for IPFS+Filecoin inside a Docker container, with bridges to NEAR, Polygon, and other smart contract networks (video)
- Fleek Space Daemon and Space SDK: For decentralized browser, mobile, or desktop development
IPFS Debugging & Network Tools
- CID Inspector: Check different versions of a CID and information on how it's constructed.
- CID Calculator: Convert a string to a CID entirely in browser.
- DAG Builder: Convert a file to different CIDs based on DAG types
- IPFS CID Checker: Checks the retrievability of a given CID from a given IPFS peer.
Filecoin Debugging & Network Tools
Pinning Services (IPFS only)
- Pinata: Pinning service that stores and retrieves data on IPFS via simple API calls on hosted nodes
- Infura: Pinning service and service which provides a remote node with both read and write features
- Fleek: Easy-to-use service for publishing websites to IPFS
- OrbitDB: Peer-to-Peer database built on IPFS for the decentralized web
Other Libraries & SDKs
- go-ipfs: Build with IPFS using Go, or use the HTTP RPC API alongside your favourite language
- Filecoin Signing Libraries: JS libraries to create wallet, sign and send transactions, interact with lotus node, and more.
- filecoin.js: A complete JS library for interacting with local or remote Filecoin nodes at the protocol level.
Tutorials, Demos, & Examples
Demos & Examples
- Overview of the Filecoin ecosystem
- Filecoin opportunities for 2021 - Juan Benet (video)
- Why IPFS - Juan Benet (video)
- Intro to IPFS - Molly McKinlay (video)
- Filecoin Economy Deep Dive
- Learn More About Filecoin - in-depth videos
- Example Use Case: Starling
- Encode Filecoin Club - 10 video talks on IPFS & Filecoin topics
💡 Questions? Join #hackathonathon on the Filecoin Slack